.adslot { border:2px solid aliceBlue; margin:2px; }

Sunday, 25 August 2013

Two Nigerian Women Beaten And Thrown Into Chinese Jail During Holiday Visit

Trapped: Mary Idowu, left, and Esther Jubril-Badmos are stuck in China as their visas ran out when police detained them for 38 days and authorities are now refusing to issue them new ones  
Mary Idowu and Esther Jubril Badmos.

Two British woman have been detained in China for more than two months after their dream holiday turned to nightmare. Modupe Idowu, 59, and her friend Esther Jubril Badmos, also 48, were arrested after becoming embroiled in a dispute at a shoe shop in the city of Guangzhou. They were locked up in 'hell-like' conditions at a detention centre for 38 days and although they have now been released, the two women remain trapped in the country as their visas have expired and authorities refuse to issue them new ones.
Mrs Idowu's desperate family said the two women's ordeal began Ms Badmos asked the shop to amend an order she had lodged earlier in the trip. She was then assaulted by two members of staff before both women went to a police station. Mrs Idowu, from Islington, North London witnessed a vicious attack on her friend.
Daughter Sarah Murray said: 'Although Esther tried to defend herself, she was pushed to the floor, kicked and beaten - and handfuls of her hair were ripped out. 'A security guard locked them in a room and another man, who we think is the shop owner's brother, came to the room and punched Esther.' When they arrived at the police station their passports were seized and they were pressurised into signing paperwork they didn't understand, before being flung into a cell overnight without food and moved to a detention centre the next day.Meanwhile Mrs Idowu's five children have struggled to find out any information about their mother - despite paying lawyers in China around £4,000 to find out - and two of them flew to the country to track her down at the end of July. Both women were released on July 29 but since then have been met with an onslaught of demands including a £20,000 claim for damages from the shop owner, which was eventually settled with £4,500. But their visas have now expired and they cannot be issued with new ones until police provide paperwork to show the charges had been dropped. Despite endless visits to the police station, officers refuse to tell them when, and if, the documentation will be provided.

No comments :

Post a Comment

leave a comment and tell me what you think